My New Favorite Outfit: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Niki did a post like this a out a week ago and I thought it was a great idea, so I thought I'd take a crack at it too. Here goes nothing:

The Good:

  • I'm devoted to my friends and family and will try to be there for them at all times.
  • I'm empathic, I always try to see where others are coming from, and walk in their shoes. I truly believe most people are doing the best they can. I don't think anyone wakes up in the morning and says, "Hey, I want to suck as a human being today!"
  • I'm a hard worker, I try to do my best at my job and at home. I can't just sit and do nothing when there's a list of things to do.
The Bad: 
  • I take things personally and stew about things I can't control. I had a parent issue at school and although this parent was on a tirade and bringing up other non-issues with about a half dozen other teachers and administration, the situation was all I could think about for days.
  • Because I can't sit still when there are things to do around the house, I don't always stop what I'm doing the second my son wants to play with me. I feel guilty about this. When he's grown up he won't care if the dishes were put in the dishwasher, but he will remember the times we played. I really need work on this!
  • I don't eat very healthily and I don't work out. Bad combo. I worked out daily before Grant was born but haven't been to the gym once in almost three years. This will come back to bite me if I don't do something about it!
The Ugly:
  • I'm a perfectionist. I like things "just so" and can be critical of myself when things don't work out as I'd like. 
  • I can be obsessive, like checking planned posts multiple times before posting to make sure they're "just so," see above... 
  • I lack confidence, specifically with certain friends. About a decade ago I was pretty wild and ran with a group of similar girls. My life was chaotic and I finally came to a point where I knew I needed to change. I decided to quit drinking and get right with God.  My friends did not take this well, and I soon realized drinking was the common denominator in our friendship. They pretty much dropped me like day old bread. I have some really great friends now who I know love me for who I am, but there are times when I don't speak up like a should for fear of rejection. I am working on this. 






Top: Target $6
Skirt: LOFT $5 (thirfted)
Necklace: Express $10
Bracelets: Express $14
Shoes: Nine West $30
Linking up with:



19 comments:

  1. i can relate to quite a bit of those! especially thinking about things and taking things personally at school. and with being obsessive! beautiful outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a lovely post! now I know you better :)
    I tend to take things personally too so I totally understand the feeling

    nice look!

    xx
    Très Jolie fashion blog
    follow Très Jolie via Bloglovin
    like Très Jolie on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  3. <3 this necklace and top! and i like ur good bad ugly segment! :)

    XO Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this lace top and such a cute gray skirt!

    I can relate to you on always wanting to get things done and then those times that I do sit still to spend time with my boyfriend, friends or my puppy I feel guilty about not getting the dishes done. It is such a horrible cycle! I am also a perfectionist, which can be good and bad. I am too hard on myself sometimes and I read and re-read and edit and edit and edit posts like you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your necklace and top!!!!!!! I liked reading your post too - and I agree that people should like you for YOU. I don't understand public/peer pressure to drink, or to ostracize those who don't drink. Maybe it's because I've had two kids (and thus two pregnancies), but as someone who does enjoy her wine, I offer a drink to guests/friends, and if they want it, great and if they don't, great. I hang out with people for their company and companionship. I also tend to stew on things - I really, really hate it when I make mistakes (especially at work, because they tend to be really visible if I mess up).

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look great girl! I love the lace top!
    Stop by some time http://styledlikearockstar.blogspot.com
    I would love to follow you on twitter @ToriGStyled

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really loved reading this (and Niki's post was so great, too!). I can definitely relate to stewing about things I can't control. Sometimes it's time to let certain things go, but it's easier said than done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love learning more about bloggers that I follow! I'm right there with ya on the perfectionist thing. It is almost obsessive for me. Good for you for getting right with God and changing your friendships. :)

    Amy

    Fashion and Beauty Finds

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the combo of gray & black <3 Nice post!

    Latest look:
    http://rakhshanda-chamberofbeauty.blogspot.in/2013/04/a-cold-day-in-april.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can definitely relate to taking things too personally. It adds alot of unnecessary conflict, especially between my husband and me when he is just trying to provide constructive feedback.
    I love how you combined the black and grey together and then added a pop of color with the necklace! You just inspired me to not shy away from dark neutral colors :D

    xoxo,
    Whitley
    Simply Whit in a Sequined Life

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love learning all of this about you. I don't eat very healthily and I don't care for working out either. I know I need to start taking better care of my health in that regards. I love that you are devoted to your family and friends, that's an important quality to have! :)

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a perfectionist too. Sometimes it can be a wonderful thing but - like you were saying - it causes me to be hard on myself too. I read an awesome book "The Relief of Imperfection" that really helped me work through some of my perfectionistic tendancies. I don't know if you'd be interested in something like that but it really helped me out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These were all great things to learn about you. I might do this someday, too. Love the lace top today & all your amazing jewelry. You have the best necklaces, I want one of each please!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like this outfit. The lace top is so pretty.
    I can relate to quite a lot of what you've said here. Especially about taking work things so personally. I feel like its hard not to. One thing that I've tried to do with that is when I feel overwhelmed or particularly obsessive about something negative that's happened at work, I try to focus on something positive that's happened or is coming up. There really are a lot of those good things but I think I get so easily influenced by the stressful things. I think it helps me to become more balanced again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this outfit!!!! You look so classy! I would do anything for my friends and family as well! I love them so much! When I worked at a preschool and a parent was upset with something that happened to their son. They took it all out on me and I was upset about it for days and then the parent ended up saying sorry. I love this post. Thank you for sharing.

    ClassyInAClassroom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post, Ginny! I think this is an excellent idea and maybe I will do just like it! As for your outfit, I am loving the top soo much! I always tend to buy white lace and never black... why, I have no idea! Thanks for your outfit inspiration, I might need to search for a lace top now!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's a great post! Thanks for opening up to us. You are a great person. And you look amazing ;)

    LA By Diana Live Magazine

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a great post. Actually everything you wrote for bad and ugly is identical to me! I love your honesty. Love this outfit to especially the lace and statement necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved this post. Your good, bad, and ugly points sound like I could have written them myself.

    ReplyDelete