My New Favorite Outfit: God Chose Mary

Monday, December 8, 2014

God Chose Mary


In this time leading up to Christmas I'd like to share a series with you called "God Chose..." I heard the Christmas story and birth of Jesus hundreds of times growing up, but it wasn't until I was a Christian that it really began to sink in, and I began to learn more about the people God chose as the birth of Jesus unfolds.

Today I want to start by sharing Mary, Jesus' mother with you.  Here's a little background on Mary (Luke 1: 26-35):  She was a teenager, estimated at 13-14 years old based on the culture of the day, engaged to be married to Joseph, and a virgin.  An angel came to her and said the following: 

“Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. And the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end.”

Mary's replies, “How will this be, since I am a virgin?” This response obviously makes sense. This has never before happened, as it will never happen again either.

And the angel answered her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be called holy—the Son of God."

This would obviously be a lot to take in. Things we should note though. Mary had found favor with God. This teenage, who wasn't rich, wasn't a queen, wasn't married, and probably wasn't extraordinary in the average person's eyes found favor with God.  He knew her heart, He saw her for who she truly was, and He saw someone worthy of bearing the Son of God. Whoa.  

After this Mary goes to a Elizabeth (who was a cousin) and tells her the news. Here is her response from Luke 1: 46-55:

“My soul magnifies the Lord,
    and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
 for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant.
    For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed;
 for he who is mighty has done great things for me,
    and holy is his name.
 And his mercy is for those who fear him
    from generation to generation.
 He has shown strength with his arm;
    he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts;
 he has brought down the mighty from their thrones
    and exalted those of humble estate;
 he has filled the hungry with good things,
    and the rich he has sent away empty.
 He has helped his servant Israel,
    in remembrance of his mercy,
 as he spoke to our fathers,
    to Abraham and to his offspring forever.”

Mary exalted God. She was not scared about what her fiance' would say or what the townspeople would say about what would look like a scandal to the outside world.  Now, the Jewish people had been waiting for their Savior for generations, as foretold in the book of Isaiah, and now He was coming.  Mary believed God's truth and this miracle as well. 


I think it can be easy to tell ourselves that we're not good enough, or we don't have value, or how could God chose me, but God sees our hearts, just as he saw Mary's.  He finds value in us, and can pick the post unlikely or people to accomplish the most extraordinary things.  


As for my outfit, my 1993 self is pretty excited open button-downs are cool again.  Exchange these booties for Doc Martens and you have a pretty clear image of my sophomore in high school self. I really love this buffalo check shirt and it's taking all my willpower not to pick up this vest too. However, we all know I need another vest like a hole in the head. 


Vest: Sears same
Shirt: Old Navy same
Tee: Le Motto c/o  same
Jeans: Old Navy 
Necklace: chloe + isabel c/o same
Bracelets: chloe + isabel same
Booties: Jessica Simpson  same

11 comments:

  1. You look adorable!! I love the buffalo plaid, I was so close to buying one a few weeks ago but talked myself out of it...why again? #buyersremorse :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the plaid unbuttoned as a layer! This is such a perfect weekend outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just had a sermon yesterday about Joseph and his forgiveness and acceptance of Mary. It was powerful. Imagine the faith you would need to have been in his shoes!!! I have this top and asked for a black vest from Santa. I hope he reads my wish list(: Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know the story is so extraordinary and awesome that God choose Mary for a purpose just as He chooses us all for a divine purpose for Him. Great post, and I love the lumber jack look here. Rachel xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that... your 1993 self! You crack me up! I love this new series you're doing. So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. God always seems to choose the humble to do great things in His name. That way, God's glory shines that much more. Love the Buffalo plaid, it just pops! ~Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great post, Ginny, and great thoughts to keep in mind this holiday season:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post...great story to hread about Mary as we prepare for his upcoming "birthday"!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love what you had to say in your post. Couldn't have said it any better! Love the outfit lots!

    http://www.geekyjessy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love what you had to say about God choosing Mary. It's so true that sometimes we can wonder why in the world God would bring us through a situation, but we just have to know that God knows each and every one of our hearts and he knows what's best for us! And as for this outfit, yes indeed girly, I love it! I've been looking for some plaid and/or buffalo button ups and I loveeeee Old Navy's prints, but they just don't fit me right! Errgh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. God definitely chose Mary. This outfit is too cute. Now that I have a red buffalo shirt, I will copy it lol.

    ReplyDelete