Blogging has really been such a great experience for me and other then the great blogging friends I have, the second best things that's come out of it is having a better understanding of my body, my style, and how to best wear my clothes. This week I thought it would be fun to share some of the things I've learned about how to look your best each day. Today I'm going to start by discussing body shapes.
I also decided to enter Chippmuck.com's Expert Shopper Contest again with this outfit. I came in 7th last time and the top five won. Help me make the top five this time by loving my look here. You can vote each day too. I seriously appreciate it ladies!
Joining the Trend-Spin link up today too here.
Have you ever found the cutest outfit on Pinterest or blogger only to try it and have it look not at all as cute as the original, even though you had very similar pieces in your closet? Yep, me too. The problem: probably a difference in body type. To correctly style an outfit, you've got to dress to fit your body type. The Chic Fashionista has some excellent info. on determine body types I'll share with you today.
Pear Body Shape1. You have a well-defined waist
2. Your bust and shoulders are proportionally narrower than your hip-line
3. Your thighs and maybe your butt might be full and rounded
4. Narrow or sloping shoulders
5. You may have short and/or full/muscular legs
Click here for fashion advice and tips on how to dress for your curvascious pear shape
Inverted Triangle Body Shape1. Your bust and shoulders are proportionally wider than your hips
2. Your hips are narrow or at least narrower than your bust and shoulders
3. You may have slim legs which often comes with this body shape
4. You might have a flat butt
5. You project a sporty-athletic physique.
Click here for advice and tips on how to dress for your athletic shape.
Rectangle Body Shape1. Your bust and shoulders are about the same width as your hip-line
2. You might look shorter and heavier than you really are
3. You have little or no waist definition
4. Waist measures from 1" to 8" smaller than the bust
5. You may have a short waist
Click here for advice and tips on how to dress for your boyish shape.
Hourglass Body Shape1. Your bust and shoulders are at the same width as your hips
2. You have a defined waist
3. When gaining weight, the fat usually stores evenly throughout your body
4. Your waist is 8" to 12" smaller than the hip or bust measurement
5. Your figure resembles a coke bottle.
Click here (opens in a new window) for advice and tips on how to dress for your proportional body shape.
Apple Body Shape1. You have the appearance of being round, slightly wide around the waistline
2. Your waistline lacks or has no waist definition
3. Your hips and butt might be wide and full along with your waist
4. Your silhouette is round usually due to overweight or childbirth
5. Bust, waist and hips are very close in measurements.
Click here for advice and tips on how to dress for your round body shape.
Did you girls figure out your shape? Make sure to click on the links above to look for advise and tips for your shape, it's seriously good info!
I'm happen to be a "rectangle." Which basically means I have no waist. To combat this I have two go to styling tips for you other "rectangles:"
1. Add a layer (like a cardigan or jacket).
2. Add a belt.
I was really excited when Whitney wore this outfit. I had those pieces in my closet and had wanted more inspiration on how to wear that skirt. This is a prime example of knowing your body, though. Because I'm a rectangle/ruler/boy shape Whitney's outfit looked great on her but not so hot on me.
I stated above my go to styling tips for defining my waist are adding a belt or adding a layer. Here, a belt does not work when the skirt has an elastic waist, however, adding a layer does.
Automatically adding the jacket gives me a more defined waist. Thank goodness! What about your, what tips do you have to help you look the best with your own body shape? Here's some more pictures of this look styled:
Jacket: The Limited similar
Top: Old Navy $4 same
Skirt: Target $12 same
Necklace: Stella and Dot Rebel Pendant same
Shoes: Target $30 same