Have you joined thredUp yet? If not, sign up here and get $10 of your first order and I get $10 too. : )
I've been thinking a lot about the purchases I've been making for the last six months or so. I feel like there has been a significant shift in how and what I buy. For the past few years I've had the mentality of buying as much as I can with my budget each month. The problem with that was that I ended up with a lot of things I didn't need, or things that didn't fit perfectly, just because the price was right.
Now, I couldn't tell you the last time I went to Target "to look" or a thrift store. Why? Because I ended up with a bunch of stuff I didn't need. Now, I buy a lot less, but I'm willing to spend a bit more to buy quality that fits right and will last.
For example, last year I hemmed at hawed about this cute animal print dress that was $30. I ended up settling for one I found at Goodwill for $5 (seen here). The dress is really pretty, but the top really gaps on me and it probably needs to be tailored to fit right. I have quite a few examples just like this. Now, I'm still all about a deal, but only when it fills a hole in my wardrobe.
I feel like this blog has really shown an evolution of my style, plus how and what I shop for. My suggestion for you who might be in the same boat as I was in:
- Stop shopping when you'e bored, upset, exhausted, or if you just need some "me time." Instead treat yourself to a latte and book or magazine. It's a lot less expensive and I bet you can find the same satisfying results without getting shopper's remorse.
- Make a list of holes in your closet, when shopping stick to the list.
- Some of you might disagree, but I now prefer shopping online. It helps me stick to my list, when I actually go shopping I have a tendency to browse (especially the sale rack), and I ended up with more than I need.
- If you have a budget, realize you don't have to spend it all. I use cash, so it's easy to just save it, then if I do want to purchase something bigger, I have the money saved up.
- If you blog, it's a good idea to refrain from buying "for the blog." I've done this too because something was trending, or whatever. I don't think this is ever the right reason to buy. Enough said.
What advise do you all have? I'm definitely not perfect, share your wisdom with me!
Blazer: H&M similar
Dress: JCrew (via thredUP) similar (on sale)
Necklace: Mariposa Medley c/o similar
Shoes: Nine West similar