Today is the third day of my Building A Wardrobe series, I hope you're finding it useful! On day one I shared Essential Blazers and Jackets, one day two I shared Essential Cardigans and today I'm going to share essential skirts with you. It's not secret that I love a good pencil skirt, and today I'm going to share with you some essential skirts, as well as some additional options for you to consider as part of my Building A Wardrobe series. There are lots of different types of skirts out there, but I feel that a pencil skirt has the most classic and timeless feel, therefore it'll have more longevity in your wardrobe. Here are more thoughts on what to consider when buying:
- The essential skirts I would consider buying are a gray, navy, black, and one additional color you love; I picked wine. Because of the classic nature of these pieces they don't often make it to the sale rack, however, you can find these at most every retailer. I personally love Target's options. The prices are fair and I've always been happy with the quality.
- These essential skirts will probably not be the highlight of any outfit, but they are great pieces to add to so many looks.
- Once you have a few of the essential skirts consider buying the additional options; these could be the "show piece" of you look for the day. Picking a great bright color, or fun print that shows your personality is always worthwhile. As I said above Target's options are great for this too.
- Most pencil skirts are safely washed in the washing machine, but always double check to see if it must be dry cleaned before buying.
- As for additional types of skirt, a-line and mini-skirts can be great too: I'm wearing a mini today, however I don't think they are the best place to start when building a wardrobe, but a great additions later on.
Here's a visual on my thoughts for skirt essentials:
Today I'm wearing a fun leopard skirt, which had been on my wish list for quite sometime. Pairing it with neutrals like tan and black make this work appropriate, but anything except boring. : )
Cardigan: Ann Taylor
Skirt: Sunny Leigh via thredup similar
Necklace: Stella and Dot same
Shoes: Nine West similar
Linking up with: