My New Favorite Outfit: The Myth of Perfection

Monday, November 10, 2014

The Myth of Perfection

I wore this outfit to church recently and love it.  I scored the skirt and cardigan a few years back at Goodwill and have worn some combination of this outfit a number of times.  This outfit has also been pinned more than anything else too.  I felt great wearing it and got a number of compliments, but I almost didn't write this post.  Why you might ask?  The pictures....they aren't great.  It was really windy and I snapped a few pictures quick before giving up and going inside.  I can't tell you how many times I've felt great, taken pictures, then trashed them because I just wasn't happy with how they came out.  It's so silly, right?  I'm not a professional or model, I'm a girl with a tripod and a clicker.....and this is a hobby.  

I feel like I can put unrealistic expectations on myself when it comes to this little hobby.  I don't plan to ever do different locations shoots, even though I know it could increase my audience, because I don't have the time, and this is not my profession.  I put together outfits I feel good in, then I take pictures and post them on the internet. Yeah.  Perfection doesn't exist and it's not fair to myself to make that the goal.  Another little known fact to those of you who only know me from the internet: my hair only looks "good" for about the first ten minutes after I'd done it and by the end of the day my makeup doesn't look so hot either. There you have it.  So, here are four of the seven or so pictures I took, in an outfit I love and felt good in, and that's why I started this blog in the first place. 

Also, Laura at I do deClaire is sweet enough to be featuring me and a few other bloggers today, go check it out!



Cardigan: Ann Taylor similar
Top: Loft similar
Skirt: Loft similar
Necklace: Kendra Scott inspired c/o  real deal
Leggings: Target
Boots: Born Boots: Born similar

11 comments:

  1. girl i am no where near perfect when it comes to the blog! usually have about 20 min to get pics done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder that perfection is not the goal! I can't tell you how many times I've been in that position where the pictures didn't turn out well and I didn't want to do a post with them. You look fabulous and I adore that skirt! Glad you ended up publishing these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this outfit! And I love imperfection! I'm awesome at it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like posts like these about not being perfect. When I read these posts I think it's a great reminder to all of us that we're not perfect and most of us don't do this professionally. Sure it's OK to have it as a goal to get great pictures and posts, but sometimes it doesn't happen and not to beat ourselves up about it. I love this outfit every time I see it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun skirt! I am in love with the print. Great look Girl!!
    oXo
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny how we can get that need for perfection. I really appreciate your honesty and I no longer feel alone as I felt like every point you made I can relate to. Location, not being a model, a tripod, being a hobby. I promised myself I would not go overboard on the time my blog took as I know you have referenced before.

    I just love all the color and pattern in this look. Thank you for showing different combinations of the same clothing. It really gives a real idea of how to remix a wardrobe, just like every woman has and needs.

    Janeane
    www.designingfrommycloset.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your honesty. I'm the same way about my blog - just doing what I can manage. Keep it up, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. For what it's worth I sure think you look pretty adorable in these pictures! But the same thing happens to me, where i look at my pictures and think how imperfect I am "in comparison"- and then remember that I'm a full time working girl and volunteer just sharing looks I love :) Keep on doing your thing Ginny!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. While I comment on this post, I am lounging on my couch as I bask in the beauty of my comfortable sweatpants and sweatshirt covered in dog fur. I also think about how this outfit has a classy 70s vibe, and I absolutely love it. I am always thinking about what awesome outfits you put together, so I'm over here thinking you should be kinder to yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I struggle with the same things- I'll take pictures of an outfit that I'm totally in love with, then I look at the pictures and suddenly I look terrible.. my pants look baggy, my shirt is wrinkly, my hair is all messed up, my eyes look tired... I could go on and on. Some days I look past all of it and say what the heck and post the pictures anyways, but other days I get so frustrated with the way I look. I personally think you always look great in your pictures, and I love that you stay true to yourself by taking your own photos at home. Something I'll never part from either lol.

    ReplyDelete